Black & White interior design: Make it simple, elegant or eclectic
Sounds simple, but getting Black & White right can be a bit tricky. It’s all about picking a design style –like modern or urban or eclectic –then putting the right pieces and furnishings together in black & white with your choice of an accent colour (or not) and dramatic lighting effects.
What’s Black & White and ‘red’ all over?...
Black & White and read all over? Liven up your walls with spray-mounted newspaper or use wallpaper paste for a more lasting effect. Photo credit:Pinterest, What David Digs blogspot.
Or B&W comics! Love the innovative use of a surface mount light on the wall instead of ceiling. Picture one on your wall with our Slimline Halogen Oyster. Photo credit:Pinterest, What David Digs blogspot.
Comme il faut – French for ‘as it should be’ or ‘Doing it right’
Turn a kitchen into a sumptuous space to create fabulous food and entertain. Or transform a living room into a sharp, chic chill-zone with the right basics and accents –especially accent lighting to set it off. You can achieve master strokes of Black & White design (like in these photo examples) in just about any room in your home. So when it comes to making the best choices, it’s all about what works for you and what you’ve got to work with in terms of space, furnishings, budget and brilliance!
Bold and brilliant for food prep or entertaining, this mod kitchen makes the most of natural light to set off Black & White plus a great use of pendants. See our similar styles in metallic look with Brava Pendant. Photo credit: William Abranowicz, Elle Decor
A B&W home in the Hampton’s (beach playground for New Yorkers) with subway tile accents, crisp lines and a pendant style very similar to ours with a refined tech look: Titan Pendant Photo credit: William Waldron, Elle décor
Great tips and tricks in Black & White lighting start here
- Modern, sleek shapes help define B&W design: See our Cubis Pendant
- Try a variety of pendant light shapes for different styles: See Alpha Range
- Be able to change brightness or effect easily with different light globes
- Adjust pendant height and try grouping them for different lighting effects
- See more on our blog about Pendant Lighting <link to Blog #8>
- Make shadow and light work to accent areas with a spotlight effect from a cool Track Light
- For a simple batten fix light to fit within any B&W interior, look at the Crompton Satin Chrome Contempo (available from Bunnings Warehouse)
- For a classic touch, check out our Crompton Wrought Iron Finish Pendant (available from Bunnings Warehouse)